In May 2020, a study was conducted into the collective action New South Wales councils were taking to reduce emissions in their operations and local community.
The study included an online survey, focus groups with council staff, and a series of interviews with industry experts. Ninety-nine local councils took part in the state-wide survey, representing 77% of local councils within New South Wales.
- the current status of council-led action on operational and community emissions
- key barriers to developing and implementing net zero strategies
- the needs and support required for councils to act on emissions. This includes emissions data and modelling tools, resources and government-facilitated support.
The study outlines how local councils are taking action on net zero emissions across the State with:
- 53% having developed or developing an emissions reduction target for their operational emissions
- 25% having developed or developing a reduction target for their community emissions.
A summary of the study provides an overview of actions being taken, targets being set and tools being used by New South Wales councils to reduce their operational and community emissions.