On 3 September 2017 the NSW Government announced an increase in the rates for all NSW energy rebates including the Low Income Household Rebate. The increase is effective from 1 July 2017. This means that some customers will be entitled to an additional rebate payment for the period prior to 3 September. The Department of Planning and Environment is working with electricity retailers for those additional payments to be credited to customer accounts as quickly as possible.

The Low Income Household Rebate helps eligible NSW households to pay their electricity bills. The Low Income Household Rebate provides:

  • $285 (was $235) (excluding GST) a year to eligible customers who hold an electricity account; or,
  • $313.50 (was $258.50) a year to eligible long-term residents of residential communities (caravan and mobile home parks), retirement villages and strata schemes who receive electricity bills from or on behalf of their community operators.


To be eligible for the Low Income Household Rebate, you need to:

  • be a resident in New South Wales; and
  • be a customer of the retailer, or a long-term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name appears on the electricity account for supply to his or her principal place of residence; and
  • hold either a: Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or DHS Health Care Card*; or DVA Gold Card marked with either: War Widow or War Widower Pension; or Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI); or Disability Pension (EDA).

    * This refers to holders of the Centrelink Health Care Card. If you have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, Low Income Health Care Card, Foster Child Health Care Card or Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card you do not qualify for this rebate.

How to apply

Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold an electricity account with a retailer (such as AGL, Energy Australia or Origin), or if you receive an electricity bill on behalf of the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.

Retailer Customers

If you have an electricity account with an authorised energy retailer, then you apply for the NSW Low Income Household Rebate directly to your retailer. To do this you simply need to contact your retailer and notify them of the type of concession card you hold (Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or Gold DVA card) and ask them to apply the NSW Low Income Household Rebate to your account.

On-Supplied Customers

If you receive an invoice for your electricity usage from or on behalf of your residential community, retirement village or strata scheme, then you need to complete a paper application form for the NSW Low Income Household Rebate and post it to the Department at:

Low Income Household Rebate
PO Box 435
Parramatta NSW 2124

You must also attach a copy of your most recent electricity invoice with your paper application form. Your invoice must include:

  • the applicant's name printed on it
  • the applicant's address printed on it
  • the most recent meter read dates for your household (which must be less than three months old and have occurred within the current financial year for which you are applying i.e 2017/18 1 July 2017-30 June 2018).

    NOTE: We cannot accept bills older than 3 months. For example, if you send in your application in November 2017 and you receive a bill every 3 months, we can accept a bill with meter read dates 1/7/2017 - 30/9/2017, but not a bill that shows meter read dates from 1/4/2017 - 30/6/2017. If you are having trouble receiving your invoice on time, follow this up with your community and send it to us once you have received it.

Frequently asked questions


Phone Service NSW on 137 788 or locate a service centre near you.

Support services

  • National Relay Service for Hearing and Speech Impairment: 1300 555 727
  • Hearing and Speech Impairment, TTY users: 133 677
  • Translation and Interpreting Service: 131 450
  • Department of Human Services (Centrelink): 132 300
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA): 133 254