On Wednesday 1 February 2017, the Australian Energy Regulator transferred electricity customers from failed energy retailer Urth Energy to other energy suppliers to ensure a continued supply of electricity.

If you are a customer of Urth Energy, you will not be disconnected and your electricity supply will not be interrupted. Your electricity will continue to be supplied by another retailer without you having to do anything.

Urth Energy’s customers have been transferred to Origin Energy and EnergyAustralia. The new retailers will contact affected customers in the near future.

Further information is available on the Australian Energy Regulator’s (AER) web page for Urth Energy customers External link icon.

To find out who your new retailer is, contact the AER’s Retailer of Last Resort (RoLR) hotline number 1300 055 390 which will be available from 3 February 2017.

Frequently asked questions

What happens next?

The new retailers will start contacting customers shortly to explain their arrangements.

Customers can change their new retailer at any time without exit fees.

What if I receive a rebate for my electricity?

Customers who received a rebate should contact their new retailer as soon as possible so that they can continue similar arrangements.

This applies to the Low Income Household Rebate, Family Energy Rebate, the Medical Energy Rebate and the Life Support Rebate. Customers may be asked by their new retailer to provide some additional information or to submit a new application form. However, the new retailer will make every effort to ensure that eligible customers continue to receive these rebates on their future bills.

What happens if I have Life Support Equipment at my house?

Customers with life support equipment at their premises should contact their new retailer. The new retailer must then register the customer as having life support equipment and make sure that their distributor is aware of this. The new retailer may ask for confirmation from a medical practitioner.

Will I be able to use Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) vouchers with my new retailer and to finalise any outstanding account with Urth Energy?

Yes. Customers can use EAPA vouchers with all NSW authorised retailers including finalising your Urth Energy account if you owe money. The rules for EAPA are the same for all retailers.

What electricity plan will I be on?

Residential customers will be automatically placed onto standard contracts with their new retailer. However customers do not have to stay on this plan if it doesn’t match their needs. Customers should contact their new retailer and shop around for a plan that works for them.

Customers can visit the independent, free price comparison service and choose the energy plan that is right for them at www.energymadeeasy.gov.au

What happens if I have a solar feed-in tariff?

Contact your new retailer to notify them you have a solar system and check with them as to what offers they may have for solar customers. Customers should shop around for a plan that works for them and can visit the independent, free price comparison service at www.energymadeeasy.gov.au