National Energy Customer Framework: consultation on implementation in NSW
Last updated: 21 December 2012
NSW Trade & Investment is beginning the final round of consultation on regulations to implement the National Energy Customer Framework (NECF). NSW is aiming to commence the NECF on 1 July 2013.
The following instruments are all attached for public comment:
- National Energy Retail Law (Adoption) Regulation 2012 [pdf]
- Electricity Supply (General) Amendment (National Energy Retail Law) Regulation 2012 [pdf]
- Gas Supply (Natural Gas Retail Competition) Amendment (National Energy Retail Law) Regulation 2012 [pdf]
- Market Operations Rule (NSW Electricity Business to Business Procedures) No.1 [pdf]
Submissions can be emailed to: NECF.firstname.lastname@example.org
Background on the National Energy Customer Framework
The National Energy Customer Framework (NECF) is the next major stage in the national energy reform process, as agreed by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) under the Australian Energy Market Agreement (AEMA). The NECF involves the harmonisation of State-based regulatory frameworks (excluding retail price regulation and community service obligations) for the retail energy market and energy distribution sector into a single set of national rules. The focus of the NECF is on providing a regulatory framework for the relationship between energy customers and the energy retailers and distributors that supply them, and includes a range of energy-specific consumer protections.
The legislation to implement the NECF received Royal Assent on 17 March 2011 after passage through the South Australian Parliament. These Bills can be viewed here.
Various Rules and Regulations have also been released and are available at: www.mce.gov.au.
Background information on the development and implementation of the NECF in NSW can be found in the papers below:
- NSW Implementation - National Energy Customer Framework, September 2011 [pdf]
- NSW Implementation Transitional Arrangements February 2012 [pdf]
- NSW Implementation of the National Energy Customer Framework - Policy Paper for Consultation, September 2010 [pdf]
The NSW Parliament passed legislation to implement the NECF on 13 June 2012.